VRCA requires notification advice of aquatic events planning to take place within, or enter, the port waters of Geelong including the shipping channels.

An Aquatic Events Advice is required from event organisers.

Event organisers must ensure event participants are informed to keep clear of commercial shipping at all times. The responsibility is not negated where there is no advice forwarded from the VRCA. This is a continuing responsibility for both event organisers and participants.

An Aquatic Events Advice must be lodged not less than five working days prior to the scheduled event date(s).

  1. Download the Aquatic Events Advice form by clicking on the link Aquatic Events Advice
  2. Fill in the sections of the Advice on page 2, including in the section titled ‘Other Relevant Information’ the general area in which the event is to take place
  3. Ensure emergency contact details are completed
  4. Return the Advice to the VRCA Harbour Master via email: admin@vrca.vic.gov.au or fax to 03 5225 3599
  5. The Aquatic Events Advice form will be reviewed by the VRCA

If the proposed Aquatic Event is approved, the Harbour Master will:

  1. add the appropriate comments in the ‘VRCA comments Section’
  2. allocate a number to the Advice
  3. return the Advice and a separate PDF copy of page 3 to the applicant via email or fax
  4. distribute the Advice to Geelong Port Marine Control, the Port Phillip Sea Pilots and, where relevant, to the Melbourne Harbour Control and Point Lonsdale

The VRCA can issue an Aquatic Events Advice which covers regular events for the whole of the season, for example a single Advice can be issued for ‘Saturday racing’ when the events take place in the same general area, at approximately the same time.

If the proposed Aquatic Event is not approved, you will be provided with reasons for the decision not to approve. Non-approval of an Event must be treated as a direction by the Harbour Master that the event is not to take place, on the basis outlined in the Aquatic Events Advice form. Please contact the Harbour Master for assistance with this Advice.

Aquatic events which occur outside Port waters may require a permit from Parks Victoria. Parks Victoria can be contacted on 131 963.